“ Educating the mind without educating
the heart is no education at all.”
Dear Middlebrook Families,
I hope you had a restful winter break.
Since we have returned from vacation the weather has turned very cold. If there is no precipitation and the temperature is above 25 degrees, students typically go outside for recess. Children must wear coats, when they go outside and hats and gloves are recommended. Children coming to school without proper winter attire will not be permitted to participate in outdoor recess. I thank families for monitoring their children's clothing to make sure they are prepared for colder temperatures and are dressed for outside recess.
The article Keeping Kids Safe in the Cold from the American Academy of Pediatrics http://www2.aap.org/sections/schoolhealth/ECarchivenovember11.html provides you with more information.
Have a wonderful week.
Middlebrook Elementary School
220 Middlebrooks Avenue
Trumbull, CT 06611
8:35 am - 3:20 pm
8:35 am - 1:00 pm
10:05 am - 3:20 pm
8:35 am - 1:00pm
Calendar of Events | View All
Henry James identified "summer afternoon" as "the two most beautiful words in the English language." And while we want your son/daughter to enjoy this summer all those elements of the world that cannot be experienced during the school year, we also want to provide educational opportunities for your son/daughter's academic learning to continue. These opportunities encompass reading and mathematics and are described fully with links to packets that can be printed. Additionally, numerous reading and mathematics enrichment website links are listed. Via eBlast, parents/guardians received communication of the summer enrichment opportunities on June 15, 2016
Reading and Mathematics opportunities by grade level are available here:
Summer Explorations 2016
Dear Parents, The Trumbull Continuing Education Department takes pride in offering an engaging assortment of top-notch youth summer programs. The 2016 Summer Explorations brochure is filled with a wide variety of programs. Discover our camps in the Summer Explorations 2016 brochure or click on www.trumbullconted.org
Supplies Needed for Each Grade
Grade-level suggested supplies list will be posted in August. Additional details & needs will be sent by your student's teacher.
Will be the last week of summer, before school begins. Details announced in August.
PTSA Council meeting update
Good Morning Middlebrook Families! Attached you will find the minutes and handouts from the April 25th PTSA Council meeting. These minutes will be approved at the first fall meeting. If you are interested in being a Middlebrook delegate to the PTSA Council next year, please let me know. Middlebrook has several open delegate seats. The PTSA Council meets 3 times a year to discuss education and advocacy in Trumbull. It is a great way to stay current on education issues. Thank you, Jennifer Mottolese, Middlebrook PTA
Funds for Fun
Just a reminder that we are still collecting donations towards the installation of our new playground equipment. The attached flyer has more information. If all families give a little, we will get there! Thank you if you have already had a chance to give!
The Middlebrook PTA needs your help to give all students more places for FUN during recess. To date, the PTA has raised enough money (about $13,000) to buy a playground structure, BUT, we need your help raising an additional $6,000 for its installation. Your support will help us complete the project and have kids playing soon! $20 from each family could get us to our goal sooner! Watch for more details coming home soon! Invest in Middlebrook's children with a $20 (or other monetary donation). All donations are welcome!
Outdoor Classroom Volunteers Needed
The outdoor classroom committee needs volunteers to go into Courtyard and "straighten up" so classes can use the area effectively. Tasks will include filling bird feeders, cleaning up any debris, straightening any furniture etc.
New dates added: June - July - August - September
Tuesday, July 12, 2016
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Tuesday, September 6, 2016
Tuesday, September 20, 2016
Thursday, October 6, 2016
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
Tuesday, November 15, 2016
|Long Hill Administration Building|
It's the most wonderful time of the year... Yes, we are already thinking about our Holiday Boutique for next year! This wonderful Middlebrook event is looking for a leader or two! We have several volunteers willing to help out but we need someone to coordinate them all! Is this you? Are you organized? Do you love a bargain? Can you hunt down a sale and a deep discount? Do you love to have fun and be part of a great team? The Holiday Boutique committee needs a new chairperson (or chairpeople if you want to do it with a friend!) or this wonderful event will not happen next year! What will it take to convince you? Let me know if you're interested -- even a little bit. Thanks, Jennifer Mottolese. PTA President
Outdoor Classroom Update
Thank you, thank you, thank you for attending our meeting yesterday. It was so exciting to have so many of you attend and share your ideas. Here are our notes:
- Repairs- Ruth Fontilla will have them done by Wednesday May 18th
- Picket fence with birdhouses up- Brian Fox will have them up by May 27th
- Rain basin/trellis/raised beds-Jeffrey Penkoff has completed the planter/ trellis??
- Weather station-future Eagle scout?? I will contact this young man today
- EXPLORE letters-Dave Galla will have them completed and up by June 3rd
- Rock wall- Bill Pond , currently working with Mrs. Abate and Mrs. Craw
- Summer volunteer schedule- I will ask Mrs. Mottolese to send that out
- Pulley system
- Rain basin
- Stepping stone/marker/mosaic classroom fundraisers
- Butterfly garden
Would someone consider being our secretary and treasurer?
Parents: please send your ideas and thoughts. If you visit and see something beneficial to our courtyard, please send photos. I especially love hearing the children's ideas. After all, it's all for them.
I promise not to annoyingly email you on a regular basis, however, I wanted to give you the science content for grades K-5 so you know what we are basing projects on and what to keep your eyes out for this summer.
- life cycle of animals and humans
- weather/seasons- animal and human shelters
- metamorphosis/life cycles-butterflies, ladybugs, ants
- plants-seeds to germination/bee pollination
- investigating water
- air and weather
- matter-solids, liquid, gas
- ecosystems, animal and plant adaptations
- the human body
- rocks and minerals
- building bird feeders
- force and Motion/simple machines
- electricity and magnetism
- physics of sound/light
- human eye/ear
- earth, moon, sun, light
- solar houses
Enjoy the end of the school year and happy summer. Thank you so much. Freda Stanton
We will have our next meeting Monday, September 12th at 3:30 in the courtyard.
Support Middlebrook Elementary School - It's Quick and EASY!
Have you joined the PTA yet ? Some benefits of PTA membership include getting to vote on PTA matters, continuing to get these PTA emails and getting the PTA directory. And there's much more than that. Also, if you would like to be in our directory, please join by October first. By that point, we will start putting the directory together with the membership that has already joined.
- Important reminder to volunteers: Reminder to anyone who volunteers at the school or plans to chaperone a field trip, you must fill out the Volunteer Form located on the Trumbull Public Schools website: www.TrumbullPublicSchools.org
- Start of school reminder: We have had a large number of students coming to school tardy. Please remember that the school day begins at 8:35 AM. When students are late this creates a disruption to the class and to student learning.
- Kindergarten Drop Off Policy: In accordance with district policy, Transportation 3541, Section VI, Bus Stops, we do not allow kindergarten students off the bus in the afternoon unless there is an authorized parent or designee over the age of 12 at the bus stop for the student to go home with. The names of all authorized persons should be sent to the Trumbull Public Schools Manager of Transportation (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, FAX: (203)-452-4334), or by U.S. mail to: Transportation Department, 6254 Main Street, Trumbull, CT 06611). If there is not an authorized parent or designee at the bus stop for your kindergarten student, we will return the student back to the school. Thank you for continued support in helping to ensure the safety of our students.
- Middlebrook School Message regarding traffic flow: The Police Department has requested that when entering or leaving the Middlebrook parking lot cars do not block the EMS driveway. This creates a safety issue for the emergency vehicles. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. (June 2015)
- Immunization Religious Exemption information (Updated 8/21/15)
- Please see the attached Pesticides letter from the Superintendent and Asbestos letter from Mark Deming, Facilities Director. (Updated 8/10/15)
- Letter to Elementary Parents and Staff regarding The Management of Food Allergies at School (Updated Oct 2014)
- The Management of Food Allergies at School (Updated 8/19/14)
- Middlebrook School Guidelines (Updated September 2014)
- ABCs of the Trumbull Education Budget (2013-2014)
- Please read the attached transportation letter from Mrs. Frillici and the Transportation Dept. (August 2014)